Monday, December 22, 2008

A big kid at heart


Yes, I guess it's true.... I'm a big kid at heart when it comes to Christmas. This is one of my favorite times of the year. The decorations, lights, trees and everything that is part of the celebration I take delight in. This year we have two Christmas trees. One is the family tree and the other is in our breakfast nook which is decorated with apples--like our kitchen. Sometimes I'm referred to as the apple lady because my kitchen and breakfast nook area have apples everywhere.

When I was a little girl I couldn't wait til my dad would decorate the outside of the house with Christmas lights. Growing up in Florida Christmases weren't always that cold, but one year in particular, I remember my dad putting up the lights and it being very cold. The wind was blowing hard, it was dreary and cloudy. I wanted to help him, but couldn't stand to stay outside.

We as a family would decorate the tree with our collection of ornaments while Perry Como played on the record player in the background or an Andy Williams television special would be on the TV. Recently, I came across the Perry Como Christmas CD and purchased it. It brings back all those special memories. You are listening to Perry as you read this blog.

Dad always put the manger scene under the tree with baby Jesus, the shepherds and wisemen. After almost 50 years, they still have that manger scene. It's old, but has held up well through the years.

We didn't always have big Christmases with lots of gifts growing up, but it's the special memories of family that hold dear to me.

I hope and pray that you make those special memories with your loved one and friends. It's not about receiving things, but celebrating the birth of Jesus and celebrating with family.

So, I wish you a very Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!

Love and Hugs,
LaDonna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you!

Feeling like Aqua

Hi Everyone! This spring season I've noticed everywhere I go the stores are decorating with teal, aqua and pretty greens.  March mark...